Friday, November 2, 2012

My beginning at writing children stories


Jack Le Brie
Digital illustration

Meet Jack Le Brie

It appears that I have neglected my blog for a while now, but the reason for the absence was that I’ve been really busy.
I have not been creating new paintings at this time, but I have been creating children stories with the idea of illustrating them.
These stories have been churning in my head since August.  They are about little creature, invisible to humans and most animals, and who have an irritating habit of knotting children’s hair, or the pets fur, in the house they live in.  However, the animals, unlike the humans, can hear them and have an affinity for their company.
I have started 2 such stories: one is of Emma Le Brie, a very competitive knotty who will stop at nothing to keep her crown, and the second one is about Jack, one of her younger brothers who faces the loss of his best friend, the family dog.
Last night I made the commitment (yes, I know, it’s crazy) to participate in the Nanowrimo challenge of writing 50,000 words by midnight November 30th.  The rules are that you must start with a new novel, which I rather call story, it’s less intimidating.  Of course, this would be the first draft, so it does not have to be perfect.  I started writing the story of Jack, which I titled Sad as a tumbleweed.  During the challenge, you are encouraged to write 1,667 words a day.  Will I manage to write so much every day?  Most likely, not, but still I want to see where this experience will take me.
Who is my muse, you wonder?  Why it’s my granddaughter.  We invented these little characters and named them knotties.  It all started when she complained each time I tried coming knots out of her hair.  I would say “It looks like the knotties have been busy again.  From there on, we began making up stories of their adventures.